About Our Society
The Iowa Microscopy Society is a non-profit affiliate of the Microscopy Society of America (MSA). The goals of this organization are to bring together people interested in microscopy, and to foster the exchange of ideas and information. In support of that mission the IMS hosts an annual symposium that highlights a variety of microscopy-related topics.
Mark your calendars: The 2018 Iowa Microscopy Society Fall Meeting will be held on Wednesday September 26th in room 283 EMRB.
The speakers this year will be:
- Isabella Grumbach, Internal Medicine, UI
- Lynda Ostedgaard, Internal Medicine, UI
- Sarit Smolikove, Biology, UI
- Michaela Fosdick, Molecular Medicine, UI
- Jeff Salisbury, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Jessica Sieren, UI Radiology
- Robert Passeri, Hitachi High Technology
- Fatima Toor, UI Electrical and Computer Engineering
Featured again this year will be two IMS Symposium traditions:
The Iowa Art in Science Competition:
The goal of The Iowa Art in Science Contest is to recognize the combination of outstanding scientific discovery and artistic appeal inherent to microscopy research. Corporate supporters of the IMS Symposium have generously donated prizes to be awarded to contest winners.
Images from any mode of microscopy can be used, and any form of colorization, manipulation and compositing is completely acceptable. Be creative, go nuts!
Stay tuned for details.
Microscopy Equipment and Supplies Displays:
On September 26th microscope and related-supplies vendors will be displaying equipment and information in the EMRB Atrium. Displays will be open from 9AM through 3PM. Please take some time to meet with the vendors, see their products and thank them for their generous support of the IMS Symposium. Pizza will be served over the lunch hour!
Tom Moninger, IMS President
MSA Special Offer for Professionals, Staff, and Students
Microscopy professionals and students are encouraged to enroll as a member of the Society for as little as $20.00 for students and $60.00 for others. By doing so, they will immediately have access to all of the following services, and more:
- • A personal subscription to MSA's official journal, Microscopy and Microanalysis, and MSA's
popular bi-monthly magazine, Microscopy Today.
• Reduced registration for PMCx60 Pre-meeting Congress for Students at Annual Meeting
• Reduced registration for pre-meeting congresses and short courses at Annual Meeting
• Student Bursary Program for the Annual Meeting
• MSA Undergraduate Student Research Scholarships
• MSA Student Council leadership opportunities
• MSA Presidential Student Award supports attendance at Annual Meeting
• MSA student programming for the Annual Meeting
• Access to extensive educational materials and activities
Please feel free to call 1-703-234-4115 or visit www.microscopy.org/students if you have any questions you might have about the meeting or the Society in general.
The Iowa Microscopy Society is a Local Affiliated society of the Microscopy Society of America.
Please help support the Microscopy Society of America by joining.